Our History

Serving The Lord For Over Seventy Years

Services began in a one-room school house in 1883 and in 1925, following a revival, a church was formed under the name of Juvenile Baptist Church.  A pastor was called and a building begun located on property deeded to the church by Charlie Gray Proctor.

In 1927, there were 63 members, but following the Great Depression, many members moved away and all services were discontinued.

In January 1938, efforts were made to start the church again and a Sunday School was organized in April.  By June, a new church with 20 members was organized and named Proctors Chapel Baptist Church in memory of Charlie Gray Proctor.  By 1939, the Sunday School averaged 95 members and the building was completed.

In 1947, a parsonage was built and the membership had grown to 335.

In 1967, a new education building was completed.  A new sanctuary with classrooms and office suite was completed in 1974.  A Family Life Center was completed in 1983.

The church continues to grow and minister to Edgecombe and Nash Counties and the greater Rocky Mount area.